Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturdays Are Special Days

Today was unlike any other day. Although we had class, it only lasted for a mere two hours and started an hour later than usual. And it wasn't another two hours of sadness like these past couple days have been. Based on student feedback, our instructors decided to talk more about themselves for the beginning of class. I definitely enjoyed listening to their personal stories about their paths to becoming doctors. All three of them took different paths to medical school, and some had no intention of going into medicine initially. The stars just aligned for them I guess. And I started to realize that everyone takes different journeys towards their respective careers. There's no right or wrong path, as our instructor Mary emphasized. Like most high school seniors, I've started to feel that burden of having to know what I want to study and where I want to study. Although I'm a rising senior, I'm sorry to say that I still don't have all the answers. And I feel relieved to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way. Attending VSA and being a part of the Med School 101 course has definitely reaffirmed this feeling of mine. We then broke into discussion groups for the last hour. But rather than talk about an article we've read or the topic of obesity, we talked about anything on our minds. Class for today more laid back than the past couple days. Getting the schedule for next week, I'm excited for the upcoming lessons as we dive more into the science of medicine and getting more hands on experience.

Diving more into house points, we played a game of Minute to Win It. The room was on pins and needles the whole time. At first, my house, S-House was on top. But the further we got into the tasks, the less points we received. And by the time the game was over, no chants could be heard by my house. A-House ended up coming out on top, and they weren't afraid to admit it. I'm sure Thomas is ecstatic, since he's a part of the A-House. It was a sad day for my house, and I was sad for us. Since we have less people than any other house, I feel like we've been the underdog. I'm hoping we can make a comeback with two weeks worth of time on our side.

Passing by the Pancake Pantry!
Savannah with a cat while in one store.
I finally enjoyed a SOFT afternoon. I explored more of Nashville while staying within VSA's boundaries. And as I walked with a group of friends, I spotted the Pancake Pantry! From last year's cohort's stories, I was anxious to see it for myself. And there it was, right in plain sight. It's just too bad Mr. Mannix couldn't take us and remember the good old days. Since I had lunch not too long ago, I decided to hold off on grabbing a bite to eat. But I definitely plan on stopping by again. Passing the Pancake Pantry, my friends window shopped and essentially saw sights other than Vanderbilt's campus. After seeing nothing but Vanderbilt's campus and CVS Pharmacy for the past couple days, it was a nice change in scenery.
Grabbing an snow cone before heading back to the dorms.
Great weather for a baseball game.
The Tennessee Sounds minor league baseball game was later in the evening. Even though I'm not a big sports fan, I didn't mind going to the game as much as others did. I went with the flow. The highlight of the game was probably participating in the wave. It added some life to the dullness of the game. But the baseball game wasn't the real show. It was the firework show at the very end. It may not be fireworks from the Lincoln Memorial during the Fourth of July, but I still had a great time. It definitely made the game worthwhile. 


Enjoying the Tennessee Sounds baseball game with great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment