Monday, July 8, 2013

The Joys of Flying

What should have been my cohort leaving for Nashville
Yesterday was a bittersweet kind of morning. Although we were on our way to Nashville, I got used to my hotel room in D.C. There, we were able to be exposed not only to our beautiful nation's capital, but travel to nearby cities. And right while we were checking our bags in at the airport, we were told our flight was being delayed. And since it was a connecting flight, we'd be late for Vanderbilt for sure. So in order to help aid the problem, we were given tickets to a direct flight instead. While we were thrown back by the afternoon flight, we were more so thrown back by the the following two delays. Just as my cohort was ready to go to Nashville, nature wouldn't let it be. Our delays were so ridiculous to the point where we were just frustrated. 

The view waiting during our third delayed flight
All I could think about was how late we would be for our first day at Vanderbilt Summer Academy. I wouldn't blame my roommate for thinking she'd have the whole room to herself. I'm the type of person who hates being late, but I knew it wasn't us to blame. Nature wasn't on our side that day. So instead of waiting a couple hours in the airport and a have a quick flight, it took us about 12 hours from D.C. to Nashville. I guess we come on second for the longest flight delay, with first place taking 25 hours. And I'm totally fine not winning. Never look to movies as the true depiction of canceled or delayed flights. During the holidays, those kids aren't having a grand old time. As Mr. Mannix said, these kind of flights tests a family's sanity. And I believe our family held it together pretty well.

Although I arrived extremely late, everyone has been so welcoming. It's sad knowing we won't see  Mr. Mannix on a daily basis, especially with all his food care packages. The moment I walked onto my floor, they immediately greeted me. And soon after, my roommate Lindsey Ulmer showed me to our room. I was surprised to see three beds and three closets readily available for the two of us.  Those first day jitters soon left my system once I met my proctor group my first night. I soon got situated and met my group for some announcements. We'd all soon be a part of the S-House. It felt like I was a part of Slytherin house in Hogwarts, especially with our house color being green. Once everyone left, my proctor Kaila Brown filled me in on what I missed. My first night wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be. It may have taken 12 hours, but it is what it is. My cohort rolled with the punches, and we were finally at Vanderbilt, completely intact.

Three beds for two people
I can already tell I'll have a great time in my Med School 101 course. Our instructors chose to teach aspects of medical school under an obesity theme. With obesity being a hot topic for discussion throughout the country, there's no better theme to unite all the topics we'll be learning for these next couple weeks. We had great discussions to start the class off about how medicine continues to evolve. It makes me wonder how the next 15 to 20 years will look for the medical field, with computers becoming increasingly used. Hopefully, doctors will still be in demand, and computers won't be running the show.

Closet space

Ethics was also a hot topic of discussion. It felt like I was in a socratic seminar with my Lincoln Douglas debate team all over again. We went over a special case involving a man who wished to be given sedation in order to die peacefully. After undergoing multiple  procedures, a toll was taken on his health. With half against and half agreeing with performing the sedation, the topic of whether the patient or doctor has the over all say was prevalent. Since it was a real case from several years ago, our lecturer told us they chose to perform the sedation. And till this day, he still wonders if they did the right decision or not. 

My identification card for the VUMC
After going through basic protocols and procedures, we left out classroom to get our identification cards and scrubs in another building part of the Vanderbilt University Medical Center.  I'll be in the OR tomorrow with my scrubs at hand, and I can't help but be excited for what awaits. With several people wishing they could have taken the course I'm in, I'm blessed to be a part of the 20 student class. And with four people being guys, and three of them with the name Michael, this should be interesting. With 20 students in my class, this may be one of the smallest classes I've been in a while. It makes such a difference to the quality of education that I wish our school could do. I plan on making the most of this class, and test the waters to gage whether or not medicine is what I want to pursue. Because of this opportunity, I'm able to get the experience of being in medical school, without even being in college yet. 

From proctor groups, to houses, to classmates in my course, I've noticed a considerable amount of diversity. With people coming from as far as Costa Rica, there is definitely a good mix of diversity here at Vanderbilt. I may not have met them, but I know they're out there. For people dreading the idea of meeting new people, be assured that it isn't as scary as it seems. I've been doing fine for myself, even with others who have been a part of this program for nearly five years now. Despite my flight troubles, I'm already making the most of it and having a ball at Vanderbilt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment