Sunday, July 21, 2013

So Much to Do, So Little Time

With Mary and Jon out for the day, Jake had a full class all to himself. But he did a flawless job of keeping us under control and on track. I can tell why he's taking a gap year of medical school in pursuit of his M.Ed as well. The old saying "For those who do, teach; those who can't, teach." doesn't hold true for Jake. Based on the past two weeks, I'm confident he'll be a wonderful educator. In fact, being a teacher is one of the hardest jobs out there, but he makes it seem so easy. I just wish our schools had teachers like Jake. 

Under his teaching, we drove further into diabetes. To make things clearer, Jake made a patient up as an example. Diagnosed with diabetes, Mrs. Perkins has been on a roller coaster to find the perfect medium for treating her condition. As a class, we were given the job of creating a treatment that would best fix her problems. With multiple scenarios, it took us a couple times to best cater to her needs. Based on what we've learned, we managed to come to a solution as a class. We were the problem solvers of Mrs. Perkins' case. Later, we experienced an aspect of Mrs. Perkins' life. As a class, we measured our blood sugar. Since I'm not a fan of shots, I didn't know what to expect. Luckily, it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. Instead, the anticipation is what got to me. But after four injections, my blood sugar level was 145 mg/dl. Initially, I was alarmed by the number. However, since I had breakfast not too long ago, I felt better. After experiencing one part of Mrs. Perkins' life, I'm grateful to no be diabetic. The woes and complications diabetes can lead to aren't fun. It's no walk in the ballpark, and I'm hoping to never set foot into that ballpark.

Enjoying our las paletas in front of Hot & Cold.
For SOFT afternoon, some of my friends and I headed to Hillsboro Village. After enjoying another tasty chicken meal, some of us grabbed a couple las paletas(popsicles) at Hot & Cold. I chose to try the fruity Lime N' Mint. And it was just what I needed. The warm weather called for something cool and refreshing. And that's exactly what I got. It was nice to go outside and enjoy the nice Nashville weather, unlike the rainy weather we've been experiencing on and off. With four hours of free time, we gained good ground at Hillsboro Village. There, we explored a couple shops and some of even managed to find some nice deals. Each of the stores had a character unique to them, especially Firefinch, who houses their cats inside during store hours. After a long couple hours, we all decided to go to Sweet CeCe's to grab some frozen yogurt and rest before heading back to the Hank Ingram House. I had a combination of Cake Batter and Pink Lemonade Sorbet. It hit just the spot before having dinner. Although I've walked around Hillsboro before, we had a lot more time on our hands to see more sites. While walking, we came across a beautiful mural of Hillsboro.We couldn't help ourselves but end our SOFT afternoon before taking a couple pictures. Although we initially headed for Edgehill, Hillsboro Village ended up being the perfect way to spend our SOFT day. 

Throwing up the VU sign for Vanderbilt University!
A complete view of the wall mural.
To end the day, all of VSA Session three headed for the movie theaters. My proctor group all decided to watch RIPD. Before choosing the movie, I had no idea what I was in store for. Although I heard it was funny and starred Ryan Reynolds, it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Compared to a couple movies I've seen this summer, I wasn't very impressed. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that great either. I did see a couple funny scenes. But overall, I understood why Rotten Tomatoes gave RIPD a low score. Although I only had two hours of class today, I was busy as I would on a regular weekday. Don't expect to have a wasted Saturday at VSA, because there's always something to do during the weekends, even tomorrow. With another jam packed day tomorrow, there's more yet to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment