Sunday, July 7, 2013

Third Time’s a Charm

Because our agenda demanded a lot of us over these past couple days, I felt ecstatic knowing I could catch a couple extra hours of sleep. I haven’t exactly gotten my sleep schedule back on track. But losing a several hours of sleep these past couple days has been worth it by far. Since our tour wasn’t until 11:00 AM, my day was already off to a great start. 

After going to the third and last college tour before heading off to Vanderbilt, I wasn’t so sure what to expect. Since last year’s cohort didn’t have as much of an interest in Georgetown than they did UPenn, I didn’t think I’d enjoy the school as much either.  But by the end of the tour, I was in awe of everything the school had to offer. I definitely didn’t feel the same way last year’s cohort felt. And by the end of the tour, I couldn’t get enough of Georgetown. I was happy to know that later that night would be our Georgetown dinner with alums and current students. 

Statue of Georgetown’s Founder
The Admissions Officer speaking at our information session was just what I needed. The way she spoke on behalf of Georgetown compelled me to want to learn more today than in yesterday’s info session. Her uplifting energy rubbed off on me. And in combination with the tour guide, I became more and more enthusiastic about applying to Georgetown. I came not knowing anything about Georgetown, and I came out thirsting for more. 

Like UPenn and Columbia, you couldn’t deny the vibrancy of the campus and its surroundings. They have the same sense of being far enough from the campus, to be its own real campus. But they’re also close enough to participate in a plethora of internships. There’s no way students could lose out on an internship regardless of their interests. Coming from the suburbs, I had no idea I’d love to learn in urban areas this much until now. The more I think of it, the more I realize that these institutions offer more exposure, leading to more job opportunities because of your experience. 

View of D.C. from one of the available rooming options
What caught my eye was how easy it could be to change majors and even schools. And as the admissions officer stated, there are no walls separating schools from each other. I liked and appreciated the transparency and ease knowing I wasn’t deadlocked into a major. By declaring at the end of your sophomore year, students are given time to explore and find the “That’s cool”. factor like Mr. Hillyer said. In other words, do what you love, and you’ll be happy. Knowing that I won’t be on this journey myself, I was surprised to hear that my tour guide didn’t just have one or two advisers, but plenty. Having that attention is something that I look for. Because I know my best interests are being looked out for, I don’t need to worry as much about staying on track for graduating on time. And Georgetown does a great job making sure that their students find jobs by the time they graduate. 
In front of Healy Hall at Georgetown
By the end of our tour, we left to grab a couple of iconic cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcakes, a popular bakery among individuals who watch their show on the Food Network, and for tourists and natives alike. The line snaked past the backside of its building, it was that long. But because of our determination to satisfy our sweet tooth, we opted to wait in line. We couldn’t leave D.C. without grabbing a Georgetown Cupcake. Since Loan and I wanted to try a couple of flavors, we decided to get half a dozen with Thomas and Keli’i. We simply couldn’t resist. While Keli’i and Thomas had one each, Loan and I chose to get two red velvet, one cookies mint and creme, and one salted caramel cupcake. All of them were a little piece of heaven in our mouths. I’m not a fan of store bought cupcakes because of the frosting. But at Georgetown Cupcakes, their cupcakes hit the spot. There was a great balance between the bread and frosting parts. Before you knew it, all the cupcakes were devoured. 
In front of Georgetown Cupcakes with our mouthwatering cupcakes
Because of how late it was getting, we weren’t able to enjoy going through the Spy Museum. And because of its line extending out its doors onto the street side, it was best to just explore the gift shop. Since Loan planned on buying a gift for her sister, it was nice to know we could at least step inside the building. Though we only explored the Holocaust Museum, it had a lot more significance than the Spy Museum would have. I wouldn’t have changed our agenda for the world. Just as quick as we were getting into the building, was just how quick we got out to get ready for the dinner.

The dinner was a great way to end our stay in Washington D.C. We ate at the City Tavern Club, the heart of Georgetown. Alum Sean Redmonds gave us a tour of the building. There was so much historical significance that I couldn’t keep track in the midst of all its glory. Given its age, I was fascinated by how well preserved it was. But because of its preservation, its history is kept alive for those who are members of the club and those who see the outsides as they walk along the streets. I would have never known its importance if it weren’t for our Georgetown dinner. Members of the club must enjoy being able to gain access and fine dine. And with fingers crossed, Sean Redmonds hopes to expand its membership. Because of how late it was getting, we weren’t able to enjoy going through the Spy Museum. And because of its line extending out its doors onto the street side, it was best to just explore the gift shop. Since Loan planned on buying a gift for her sister, it was nice to know we could at least step inside the building. Though we only explored the Holocaust Museum, it had a lot more significance than the Spy Museum would have. I wouldn’t have changed our agenda for the world. Just as quick as we were getting into the building, was just how quick we got out to get ready for the dinner.

The dinner was a great way to end our stay in Washington D.C. We ate at the City Tavern Club, the heart of Georgetown. Alum Sean Redmonds gave us a tour of the building. There was so much historical significance that I couldn’t keep track in the midst of all its glory. Given its age, I was fascinated by how well preserved it was. But because of its preservation, its history is kept alive for those who are members of the club and those who see the outsides as they walk along the streets. I would have never known its importance if it weren’t for our Georgetown dinner. Members of the club must enjoy being able to gain access and fine dine. And with fingers crossed, Sean Redmonds hopes to expand its membership. 
Dining with great company
My cohort was grateful to be dining with the graduates and current students we did. We were able to eat with four past and current students: Paul Connor, Adam Ramadan, Sean Redmonds, and Nate Tisa. Our conversations couldn’t have gotten any better. Just as Dyana did, they shed some light onto their university. Their passion for Georgetown could be seen for miles away. They were bleeding Hoya Blue. It was great of them to spend dinner with us, especially with the holiday weekend.

Like Paul Connor said, “Whatever college you go to, you’ll have fun”. Sometimes, incoming college freshman lose sight at finding the right college for them, and instead look to US News college rankings as a way to find their school. What’s important is finding that college that meets all of your needs, instead of looking at its brand name. He left saying that your dream school is called a dream school for a reason. It’s a dream. If you get accepted like Paul did, it’s a dream come true. And if you get rejected, then you should be making the most of it. Sometimes, life has its way of working for the best. Like one of Paul’s brothers, he came to love his safety college. It’s important to keep an open mind because if close minded, than you’ll never enjoy what lies in front of you

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your visit to Georgetown paid off. I'm glad we could accommodate.

    Just curious, though, exactly how much did we pay so you could enjoy a couple of cupcakes? That's just envy speaking, Kimberly. Don't worry about me. I had a couple of store bought cookies so I'm just fine.

    ReplyDelete